For some, hanging a picture can seem confronting - but how about building a wooden picture frame from scratch?
At the end of this class, you'll take home a completed frame which holds a 8x10 photo.
This 3 part workshop will look at the following with each session running for 2 hours
- Machining or preparing material for the frame
- Making the rebate to hold the artwork, glass, mat-board and backing
- Cutting Mitres
- Gluing the Frame
- Reinforcing the Mitres (with corner V nails and Splined Mitres)
- Machining Spline Material
- Gluing in the Splines
- A look at various ways to hang artwork in your home
- Flushing the splines
- Sanding & Surface Preparation of your frame
- Applying a Hardwax Oil finish to your frame
- Add Mounting Hardware to your frame
- Mount your Artwork
Please note that this class is primarily focussed on crafting the timber frame itself, Cutting mat-board and Glass are not a part of this class. We will be using pre cut mat-board and glass/polycarbonate for the frames.
All required materials are included in the price of this class, on the final night, you will be asked to bring in the artwork you wish to mount in the frame (you can choose to do this at home instead if you like)
Timber supplied for the frame will be Feature Grade Highland Oak, spline material can vary with various timbers available for you to choose from.